Tuesday, July 25, 2006

SuperSize it... not.

Top ten things where less is more.

1. Razor blades. I don't think you need more than two blades to get a close shave. Based on a home experiment, there is no detectable difference in a four blade shave versus two. Using shaving cream or gel makes more of a difference than an extra blade (or three) will. How large will razors get before they have to stop adding blades? The newest ones are already ridiculously oversized.

2. Network logos in the corner of your TV screen. Way too big and obtrusive. And the new show adverts that take up the bottom 25% of the screen while you are *trying* to watch another show are obnoxious.

3. McMansions. Honestly, who needs an 8-bedroom, 6000 square foot home? On a quarter acre lot? If the width of your lawn never exceeds the minimum allowed setback and your home has more than three floors, you might be guilty of a little excess.

4a. Hummers. Outside of the military, there is no legitimate need for such a stupid vehicle. If you own one, you are simply advertising that you have more money (or credit) than common sense. And that you are overcompensating for certain, shall we say, "inadequacies" elsewhere. Schwarzenegger owns a fleet of 'em. Need I say more?

4b. Hummer limousines. Stupid. See above.

5. Fake boobs. American women are generally not satisfied with going up just a couple of cup sizes. Oh no. They tend to go for the "freak of nature" look, which is anything but natural looking. You guys can try to explain it all you want, but I will never understand how anyone could be remotely sexually attracted by these things. Ugh.

6. Convenience store fountain drinks (same for movie theater drinks). If the cup is so large that you need two hands to keep a grip on it, you are drinking too much coke.

7. Toilet paper rolls. First there was the single roll, which was fine. Then the double roll. OK, that works too. Now they have triple rolls, which don't fit on the dispenser quite right.

8. Movie length. Movies used to be mostly around 100 minutes, give or take. And you saw just a few previews and no commercials, so you were in and out of the theater in two hours max. Nowadays, movies seem to be getting longer and longer. When the movie is 2.5 hours, not counting the ten previews and six commercials you have to sit through first, it makes it really difficult to consume one of those giant two-hander cokes and not have to get up at some point.

9. Car audio systems. In college, I knew a guy who had the back seat of his car removed so he could add about a dozen different speakers. You could hear him coming a mile away, literally. This is pointless. Once the volume of your car's audio system is capable of exceeding the pain threshold, any additional power you add is criminal. There are few things more annoying than being subjected to someone else's crap music, filtered through the exterior of their automobile so that all you hear are the lowest frequencies and what passes for a beat.

10.Multi-function gadgets. Sometimes a phone should just be a phone. Ditto for the TV remote. When the gadget is so complicated that it is impossible to figure out how to use it for its original function, the product has been overdesigned. Someone failed to rein in the engineers during the design process. The engineers have run amok, and the results are not pretty. They're pretty nerdy.

8 comments:

fakies said...

I couldn't agree more on most of those. And then I realized I was guilty of #9. Oops. Does it make it any better that I don't play crap music?

fermicat said...

As long as you're not guilty of #5, I'll let it slide...

LL said...

"As long as you're not guilty of #5, I'll let it slide..."

Well crap. I guess I'm not gonna be welcome at this blog anymore... :P

fakies said...

"As long as you're not guilty of #5, I'll let it slide..."

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Let's just say, in the words of a former male coworker, "Trina's not exactly the augmentation type."

NYPinTA said...

Well crap. I guess I'm not gonna be welcome at this blog anymore... :P You got fake boobs??? Wow!

I hate hate hate those stupid TV logos that pop up! Especially when they do so right over captions in the program. It's their damn show, don't they know their logo is in the way? Irks me to no end.
And a friend of mine had a cousin that had a speaker so large he had to put it in his trunk. We were visiting once and I was the one stuck in the back seat. I think my heart skipped a few beats during a particularly up-tmepo song.

MJW said...

3. Honestly, who needs an 8-bedroom, 6000 square foot home?

Spoiled-rotten children "want" big things. The word "need" just confuses them (I've tried to argue with such people, to no avail).

4a. Hummers.

See No. 3. ;)

5. Fake boobs... You guys can try to explain it all you want...

I consider them to be a total turn off. If that's all men are after, then they should be perfectly happy with life-sized inflatable dolls.

8. When the movie is 2.5 hours, not counting the ten previews and six commercials you have to sit through first..

I don't know if I hate to admit this or not: I haven't been in a movie theater since about 1992 or 1993. I don't miss them in the least, either.

Anonymous said...

I agree the most with the Hummer comments but this list is still too Andy Rooney for me.

Anonymous said...

I forgot how wonderfully hilarious you are!!