Friday, July 21, 2006

Don't Panic!!

I hate the panic button on my car remote. I pressed it by accident this morning as I was locking my car (for about the hundredth time it seems). As usual, it startled me into momentary witlessness, as I scrambled to turn the damn thing off. A full-on adrenaline surge is not what I need first thing in the morning when I arrive at work. All that panic button ever does is cause *me* to panic.

It is way too easy to press this button. Yes, it is bright red and on the back of the remote and in theory one should never confuse it with any of the other buttons. But confusion is not how it gets triggered. They put it right where you would naturally grip the remote when using it to lock your car. And it isn't recessed enough to shield it from casual contact. I've accidentally triggered panic mode by simply putting my keys into my purse and closing it. A pox on the engineers who designed this thing. They need to take a remedial course on "human factors engineering". Or use some common sense. Idiots.

No comments: