Friday, July 21, 2006

The Fine Art of Loafing

Friday CatBlogging edition:

Cats are the masters at the fine art of loafing. I wish I could loaf half as good as they can. Lately, I just can't relax at all. I finished grad school (for the second time) in December and for a brief shining moment, I did not have to study anymore. But now, all that has changed. In about a month, I have to take Part 1 of the ABR Board Exam to become a certified medical physicist. [There are two more exams after this one.] So back in June, I began reviewing all of the material expected to show up on the test in August. The two tests, actually. Clinical anatomy and physiology and general physics. Ack, ack, ack! And now the tests are little more than one month away and crunch time has begun. The more I study, the more tense I become. But in spite of my tenseness, the cats seem oblivious to it all, and are able to relax in the most adorable ways.

The only surprise about this basket being Zima's current favorite hang out spot is that it is actually large enough to accomodate her. She usually selects much smaller cubbyholes to cram her heft into.



Moxy may be young, but she has already mastered the fine art of relaxation, kitty style. [If you look real close, you can see our "acme-cat-training-double-sticky-tape" affixed to the bottom of the couch. She used to claw and scratch there, but the tape stopped her in her tracks. Feel free to try this at home with your own cats. Works like a charm!]



She doesn't limit herself to soft, upholstered perches, either. She looks real cute here. You'd never guess that she can be the spawn of satan occasionally.



Both cats wish they could go see Clerks II with me tonight. But it is Rated R and they aren't old enough. Hah!

P.S. I hate studying MRI imaging with a fiery passion. I get the initial physics part of it, but I can't seem to wrap my brain around how they get an image out... Anyone having a VERY SIMPLE explanation is welcome to contact me via comments.

P.P.S. I can't thank PDM enough for all of the cooking he's done since I began studying. If not for him, no doubt I would have already starved to death. He not only feeds me, his creations are masterpieces of the culinary arts. In short, PDM rocks!!!!!!

7 comments:

MJW said...

I love your photos. I've taken so many cat pictures over the years that I am almost embarrassed to admit it. Where do you buy that cat tape? I sure wish they also made something like that for those locations on the carpet that they confuse for a litter box.

P.S. Are you on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean? Your post is dated 12:05 AM, Friday, July 21; however, it's still 11:39 PM, July 20, in Atlanta (9:39 PM, my time) as I write this comment. ;)

P.S.S. I found you through Trinamick.

NYPinTA said...

Your cat Moxy looks like my cat Stanely. Because of the heat lately, my cats have taken to sprawling themselves on my kitchen floor trying to keep cool.

Good luck on the tests!

fermicat said...

Aw shucks, now both of you know I write tomorrow's posts today! I can't compose at work, so...

The tape is just carpet adhesive tape from Ace hardware. I think any kind of "double-stick" tape would work as long as it will adhere to upholstery for a few weeks. They really hate getting their paws stuck and that is how it works as a deterrent.

Zima is back in her basket. It is hot as hell in here (we're saving the planet by keeping out house absurdly hot, NYPinTA, because I want to earn those go-go boots!) -- I don't know why she isn't sprawled out on the cool tile floor in the kitchen. I'd sleep there if it weren't so damned hard. Crazy cat.

fermicat said...

That's "OUR" house, not "OUT" house. We don't have an outhouse. We have indoor plumbing. Dang typos.

LL said...

You seriously need to stop making multiple posts in one day... it makes me tired. :P

Just remember, the more you study, the less you know. :ewink:

As for the MRI... try this.

MJW said...

As requested: A few cat pics... Enjoy. :)

fermicat said...

MW, what a nice feline family you have... Those pictures were great! I wish my cats would get along as well as yours seem to. So far, the Big Cat hasn't warmed up to the Little Cat.