Monday, November 06, 2006

One holiday at a time, please.

I stopped by the mall last week and was horrified at the wall-to-wall, excessive, tacky, awful Christmas displays. Stores that are already playing Christmas music put me over the edge. I realize that a few people are already doing some Christmas shopping, but most of us haven’t even thought about it yet, other than a vague feeling of dread and procrastination guilt. Do we really need such an ‘in your face’ reminder of a holiday that is two months away? It makes me want to quit shopping until they put all that crap away. Or do it all online, where I might have to look at a few holiday-themed web pages but at least I don’t have to listen to cliché Christmas tunes while I shop.

At home, I like to take the holidays one at a time. I’m not much for going whole hog on the decorations, but when I do put some holiday stuff out, there are a few rules I follow. The stuff doesn’t get out of the box until a few weeks before the actual event, and must be removed promptly. Ideally, no Christmas decorations will leave my basement until at least December 1 and they will all be returned by January 1. We don’t do any yard displays, but if we did we would not leave them there until June, like some people do. I don’t do much outside because I don’t find removing the stuff on a cold day in late December to be much fun. Plus, you know, there is the whole tackiness factor. This will be our first year celebrating the holidays in this house and neighborhood. It will be interesting to see what the neighbors do, in terms of cringe-worthy, massive yard displays that would make Tim Allen proud. If I find any really awful ones, I’ll post pictures here for a good laugh.

Obligatory football update, because I am such a fanatic: Once again, Tech won and Georgia lost. Happy, happy, joy, joy!!! One more ACC win and we are a lock for the championship game. Not taking anything for granted, but our chances look very good. You’ll have to excuse the exuberance – Tech is having one of its best football seasons in recent history. It is not what we’re used to, but we’ll take it! Next year, our star player is sure to go pro, and other colleges are already drooling over our assistant coaches. I’m guessing we won’t see a repeat performance.

5 comments:

LL said...

"I don’t find removing the stuff on a cold day in late December to be much fun."

I thought you didn't have cold days down there... ;)

fermicat said...

I think it's cold when it gets down into the 50s! Brrrrr.

wa11z said...

I suggest pink flamingos. That'll suck the Christmas right out of your yard.

TheWriteGirl said...

It absolutely sets my teeth on edge when I see the Christmas decorations sneaking into the stores when Thanksgiving is still weeks away. My solution is, I stay out of the mall from mid-October until December. Not very clever, I know, but it works. Of course, that doesn't stop the onslaught of Holiday Catalogs from appearing in my mailbox!

BC said...

Working retail sucks for holidays. School supplies go out in July and Christmas stuff at the end of Sept with the Halloween stuff. Bathing suits in January and winter coats in August.