Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Guess who's coming to dinner?

No one.

My sister and her husband and son were going to be coming over for dinner yesterday, and she and the nephew were set to spend the night. My bro-in-law and nephew are already in town visiting his dad, and sister was due in on a 6:30 flight from San Diego. They’d all rendezvous at my pad and we would have dinner. PDM and I carefully planned a menu during Sunday’s craziness and had the house and guest room clean and ready to go. We started working on the meal as soon as we got home from work.

The phone rings as expected at 6:30. It was my sister, calling from San Diego, not the Atlanta airport. ARGH! This was approximately five minutes after we passed the point of no return on the meal prep – it had to be cooked no matter what. Turns out, she’d left a message for me on my voicemail at work about how she couldn’t get on the flight. The problem was that I now work at two different facilities , and I won’t be at my main office until Wednesday, so I never got the message. [My sister did finally make it to Atlanta, but got in at 5:30am after spending all day in airports trying to get on a flight and then all night on a plane. She’s a furloughed flight attendant, and traveling on standby during Thanksgiving week, and there were some canceled flights and other problems with the San Diego flights to ATL, which is why she was getting bumped.]

We called everyone we could think of who lives close by, but only two friends were home and they both had other dinner plans. So PDM and I were left to eat all that food ourselves. Beef satay, chicken tikkas, and cumin potatoes. About two pounds of each. The food was delicious, but we had way too much of it. We thought about taking a couple of care packages to the bartenders at our pub, but by the time we’d eaten and cleaned up it was 9pm and we were beat. So tonight when our next houseguest arrives (hopefully!), instead of the beer cheese soup and BLTs that we had planned on making, we’ll be eating reheated leftovers. Except we will have to heat them the old-fashioned way, since our stupid microwave is still out of action due to the broken glass plate that I can't find a replacement for that costs less than $42.

4 comments:

fakies said...

I'm a big fan of leftovers, but I get sick of them long before they're all gone. Trade you some scalloped potatoes & ham for some beef satay!

fermicat said...

Deal!

LL said...

Anyone want the rest of my corned beef?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful menu! Satay and tikka...I think I may steal that idea for next year.

This year I proposed forgetting the main dishes and just letting everyone graze on the snacks, appetizers and side dishes. That's the fun part anyway. My sis-in-law (this year's designated chef) agreed in principle but wanted to cook the turkey anyway because she likes it. So do I, actually. I love turkey. It's just that usually, by the time the meal is finally served, everyone is full from eating the pre-meal goodies.

All was well though. She makes this wonderful garlic/ginger cranberry sauce that I just love. It was all good, including the turkey. And of course, the day-after leftovers were even better.