Thursday, November 16, 2006

It's wiki fun!

How many of you get completely absorbed wandering through loosely related articles in Wikipedia? I suspect I’ve just branded myself a major geek, but I just can’t help clicking on those links to other articles. It begins innocently enough. I find my way to Wikipedia through a Google search or go there directly looking for info on a specific topic, and before I know it, I’ve spent hours exploring and have completely forgotten my original mission. Wikipedia is like crack for people like me: people who are curious about things, enjoy tangents, like to get in only so deep, and cover a lot of ground. It is bizarre where you can end up sometimes. It’s “the six degrees of information”. My wiki trails are odd. I’ll bet yours are, too.

5 comments:

fakies said...

I'm afraid I'm guilty of a bit of that as well. But the one that really gets me in trouble is the Crime Library website. Before long, I've spent hours looking at the stories of famous criminals, serial killers, missing children, etc.

LL said...

Wiki addiction? I have no idea what you're talking about... :innocent:

Anonymous said...

I started once on Joseph Campbell and ended up reading about the Catholic Church. Weird.

Anonymous said...

You aren't a geek. I say that so that I don't have to think of myself as a geek.

I remember as a kid being sprawled on the floor with four or five volumes of Worldbook (World Book?) Encyclopedia scattered around me vaguely hearing my mother telling me to read one of them and put the rest back on the shelf.

These days I know that I have pleasantly wasted too much time when Windows tells me that I have too many documents or browser windows open.

I'm not a geek am I ?

TheWriteGirl said...

It's like quicksand! I try very hard to stay focused or I'll just get sucked in.