Sunday, April 29, 2007

Digging in the dirt

"Digging in the dirt" is the title of one of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs, and also what I spent most of my weekend doing. I spent several hours on Saturday weeding - mostly wayward monkey grass. Anything with "monkey" in its name is bound to give you trouble... it doesn't stay where it belongs, and is nearly impossible to completely remove once it escapes. I also found out the hard way that using my left index finger as a brace for prying out deep-rooted weeds with a garden tool was a bad idea. Very effective, but by the end of the day my finger was swollen and a little numb.

Today was more fun. With the tedious chores over with, it was time to plant. A quick trip to the nursery was a success for the herb garden. Last week they didn't have anything I wanted, but this week the selection was much better. A little too good, in fact. I made a few impulse buys of some unusual varieties of mint and planted them all together in a large pot (mint is highly invasive, so confining it to a container is a good idea). The rest of the herbs were going to have to fit into the herb garden somehow.


Since I got a few more herbs than I originally planned, I had to enlarge our herb garden before I could get started. I can see how this will play out: every year I will get too much to fit the existing boundaries and will have to make the herb bed larger. In a few years, there won't be any grass to cut on that side of the house! (Hmmm, that's not such a bad plan.) I still need to get mulch for the expansion, but the herb garden is done. Since herbs are food, it means this area is exempt from Georgia's watering restrictions (currently three days a week from midnight until 10am only). Hooray! In the photo above, the latest expansion is the part without any mulch. And the large plants in the back of the bed are some amaryllis (NOT an herb) that were there when we bought the house. Now I have to figure out what to do with the three pepper plants I got. They'll require yet another expansion of the herb garden, or I can keep them in pots.

I also bought some catnip to plant for Zima and Moxy. It hadn't been out of the car for ten minutes when Zima found it, knocked it over, rubbed all over it, ate a few leaves, and got extremely stoned. I'm sure she will have hours of blissful fun, provided she doesn't literally enjoy the poor plant to death. The photos below show her first encounter with it after I planted it in the flower bed. I went back out there later and she still had her face stuck in it. I just hope all the other neighborhood cats don't discover it. I'd hate for my front yard to be the local opium den for felines.





But now I've gotta go - PDM just pulled some barbecue ribs out of the oven that have been slow-cooking all afternoon and I'm in danger of drooling all over the keyboard.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

I thought I read an article someplace that said there is a bill being kicked around congress that will outlaw catnip, with the following justification...Kids will see the cats high and think its fun for people to be high.

also...your cat is awesome

dr sardonicus said...

You might have your home confiscated by the feds for growing and providing controlled substances for the neighborhood cats...

Beth said...

Great pictures (this post and one below). I have an herb garden also. I planted mine around a stump I have, but only kept the mint and chives. I need to start another somewhere else, but I'm not sure where. Great job!

fermicat said...

taylor and dr s - yes, I am sure there is a certain segment of the population that would want to outlaw herbal pleasure of any kind, even for cats. Wankers...

beth - PDM and I love having the fresh herbs to cook with, plus I think they look pretty. Thanks for the complement on the photos, even though I had to take them with my crummy old camera (except the Friday Zima picture - that one was with the good camera before I busted it).

Natalie said...

I'd hate for my front yard to be the local opium den for felines.

Awesome. But it would get expensive when they all got the munchies.

LL said...

Now by herb garden, you don't mean herb garden... do you? :P

Kathleen said...

I'm always impressed by people who actually enjoy gardening of any kind. My friend wants me to help her and I just can't bear the thought. I despise gardening - probably due to the enforced gardening of my childhood. The sad thing is that I love fresh veggies and would love to grow fresh basil, but I do not have a green thumb at all.