Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day

How's your May Day going? I'm stuck inside an overly air-conditioned workplace with almost nothing to do except look at the gorgeous day outside and wish I was somewhere else. I like to stay busy at work. This is the main reason why I don't really like my "alternate work location" that I have to go to 2-3 days a week. The other reasons? Parking sucks, the food sucks, and the computer sucks. I had about four applications open and the dang computer was making such a ruckus I started to worry for my own safety. Something in there was spinning around faster than Linda Blair's head and I was concerned that any minute it would break through the case and come flying out at me at warp speed. Well. Anyway. It didn't.

One of the things I do to keep myself from talking to the walls is to bring in the local newspaper when, like today, I suspect work is going to be slow. In today's edition, I found out that Atlanta has an official "Smog Season" which starts today and lasts until the end of September. I did not know that... mostly because there is smog here pretty much all year 'round, any time the weather is nice and it doesn't rain for a while. Ozone in the stratosphere is a good thing, but in the troposphere - not so much. When I'm outside this evening, I'll be sure to cough and wheeze festively, in honor of the occasion.

I'm thinking of celebrating May Day (or the Opening Day Of Smog Season In Atlanta, whichever) by buying some shoes. Zima will probably celebrate by getting stoned on catnip over and over (it's hard to keep her away from there now). But if your May Day is not complete without someone dancing around a May Pole (I almost referred to this as 'pole dancing' - whoops), then here ya go:



Happy May Day, Lei Day (Hawaii), Beltane, Workers Day/Labor Day/Day of the International Solidarity of Workers, "National Love Day" (Czech), "Lusty Month of May" (Camelot), Mother Goose Day, Save The Rhino Day, First Day of Smog Season (Atlanta), etc.

Go out and be happy! If you're not happy, watch the video. It'll help, I swear.

6 comments:

Dave said...

Today's also the day, I think, that we have to use the "smog blend" gas that at least in part lead to the huge increase in gas prices we've seen in the last week.

Scary part about the same article, Rome, a quiet little town just south of the TN border is on the list for smog town naughtiness. Who'd of thought?

fermicat said...

I noticed that gas went up six cents overnight at the BP on Clairmont, but hadn't put two and two together...

Beth said...

My May day was just blah. Nothing good. The catnip in the yard thing is a hoot.

Happy May Day to you! Thanks for always making me smile.

Kathleen said...

What? May Day is Save the Rhino Day and I missed it??? I'm so bummed!!! Did you know that I *love* rhinos? They are so cute!!! I want to kiss one! Yeah, I know. I'm weird.

Love Safety Dance! Might have to iTunes that one!

dr sardonicus said...

What, no vintage video of Soviet tanks rolling past the Kremlin? Those Reds sure knew how to throw a party!

Our May Day was spent at the hospital, but everything seems to have turned out OK.

TheWriteGirl said...

No Soviet tanks, but I did manage to see a few platoons of goose-stepping North Korean soldiers on parade. Long live Dear Leader!