Thursday, May 24, 2007

Rain Dance


Georgia needs rain. Badly. Do a rain dance for us. Send us watery wishes. Pray for rain. Whatever it takes. The dark areas of the map above are the driest. Our whole state is in trouble. This is much worse, much earlier than last year. I can't remember the last time we had several days of rain. It has been a long time since we've had more than a few scattered showers. Every time I check the 10-day forecast, it is as if I live in California -- every day fair and sunny. It sounds nice, but it isn't. We need rain. Days and days of steady rain. It has been so long I almost don't remember what that is like. This isn't about green lawns, or watering restrictions, or any of that. It is about farmers going broke, and native species going extinct. This is serious. And we need rain.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Fermi.

You have the power! Yes, you! Just set several PAPER sacks full of garbage outside your back door, and I can guarantee you that it will rain buckets as soon as you leave for work.

I speak from experience. ;-)

P.S. I only set one sack out, but it was enough to make a mess.

Kathleen said...

I'd send you ours, because, being Michigan, it's going to rain all weekend long, but I don't think I have the ability to do so. I'll light candles and pray and cross my fingers, etc., that you get rain very soon.

fermicat said...

Welfl! Nice to see you around again. I've tried similar tactics - wash the car, or plan an outdoor event with no rain date, but not even those things work any more.

kat - I'm envious of your rain (but not that stupid nightclub you have to deal with for the next few Sundays).

Beth said...

My great grandmother is full-blooded indian, so I'll be doing a rain dance for you. Maybe it works. Maybe some of her magic blood trickled down into me.

fakies said...

It's sprinkling here right now, and this is the first summer in years that we've gotten this much rain. I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't mind having a bit of a break, ya know?

fermicat said...

beth - take pictures!

trina - just be careful and let someone else place the buckets this time...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to be around again, and I'm glad that you're glad. It's very possible, though, that my previous comment (not to mention this one ;-) was just a crazy fluke. I hope you won't be too disappointed with me if I continue to be my same old ne'er-do-well self four-fifths of the time, especially when it comes to making comments. Ha.

P.S. I forgot to use my "other" name. Hmmm... Oh well.

fermicat said...

Your 'other' name? Oh.... I almost forgot - it is 'mw' right? :-)

Your Flickr name works just as well as your Blogger name.

PS - 10 day forecast still has no rain in sight. Is it wrong to wish for a hurricane? I'm afraid that is the only thing that would bring a significant amount of rain over a several-day period. We don't seem to be getting rainy weather coming through from the west any more.

Kathleen said...

Fermi - I won't tell you how it rained darn near all day Saturday & Sunday, although Monday was beautifully sunny! Weatherforecasters are predicting normal Michigan thunderstorms all week - pours like an MFer for 30 minutes and then the sun comes out and you forget it even rained.