Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Which one is flatter?

A pancake, or my boobs during today's mammogram? Hmmm. That's a tough one. Are the pancakes fluffy?

Then there was this strange incident in the parking garage on my way out. I knew that the parking fee would be $2, and the smallest bill I had was a $20. So I decided to get rid of some of the loose change I had been carrying around. I gave the parking attendant four quarters and ten dimes. He gave me a withering look as if I had just handed him a fistful of dog turds. "What is this?" he spat, in a haughty tone reminiscent of a snooty waiter. Then he just sort of threw the change into the register without bothering to count it. As if dealing with coins was somehow beneath him (or maybe he doesn't know how to count American currency). He's a parking lot attendant, for cryin' out loud. Bizarre. Do you think he would have been more or less pissy if I had given him some of those spiffy new dollar coins?

The good news is that my boobs did spring back to their normal shape, they didn't find anything alarming in the images, and I don't have to do it again until the next time my doctor starts badgering me about it.

12 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

As the spouse of a breast cancer survivor, and knowing the difficulties we faced dealing with that, I'm glad that your mammogram turned out OK. Mrs. S. says to be sure to get one every year!

fermicat said...

I second that advice!

Since I work in radiation oncology, I see first hand what can happen with breast cancer, as well as other types. Your best chance of surviving cancer is to catch and treat it early. Take advantage of whatever screening is available. That means mammograms for you ladies, and PSA tests for the guys.

Ryan said...

Your boobs may not be puffy like pancakes.... but mine will always be more flat.

I guess I'm just lucky that way.

If the parking lot attendant thought it was bad you gave him change, he should be glad you didn't just run your car into his little booth..... that would have given him somthing to really bitch about.

wa11z said...

Next time put the coins in your bra with your boobs. Flat or not, I'm sure he won't mind reaching for them. Congrats on your mammogram being ok. Now I'm going to take my guitar and crank out a tasty mammojam. :)

fermicat said...

Oh, and just for the record, 'flat' refers to the way that horrid contraption squishes breasts for the x-ray, not the condition of my chest in general.

Taylor said...

hmm...I thought this was going to be about breakfast, and now I am slightly disappointed...I am just glad the don't have to do that to guys to check for testicular cancer, getting my junk crushed by a camera.

but yay no cancer!

Beth said...

I have to get my first mammogram this year. I am actually really freaked out about it. I'm afraid of the pain and embarrassment. Was it terrible?

I always save a bunch of coinage then dump it on one person. Too bad what they think! I like to use that line, "Keep the change, ya filthy animal," at times like those. =)

fermicat said...

Beth - I'm not gonna lie to you. It hurts pretty bad. But hopefully you will get a good technician who will put you at ease and be quick.

I had to laugh when she told me not to breathe (during the actual x-ray exposure), because when she said it, I realized that I was already holding my breath because of the pain. They take two images per breast. The one where they squish you at an angle hurts the most.

Kelly said...

It sucks to be a woman!

LL said...

Boobs? Did someone mention boobs?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and just for the record, 'flat' refers to the way that horrid contraption squishes breasts for the x-ray, not the condition of my chest in general.

I can vouch for that!

fermicat said...

'PDM' is 'Mr. Fermicat', just in case anyone was wondering...