Wednesday, April 25, 2007

New Worlds and Giant Fungi

A prehistoric mystery fossil has finally been identified as being a 20 foot tall fungus. Originally thought to be a conifer, the carbon diversity of the fossil was too great for it to have been a plant. (Fungi are between plant and animal life in terms of complexity.) The fossil fungus was a variety that became extinct around 350 million years ago. Apparently, before animal life took over the planet, fungi used to rule the world. The tallest trees were only about a meter high, while towering fungi were commonplace. It would be eons before animal life grew large enough to trample the fungi into more manageable sizes. A planet full of giant fungi and miniature trees would be interesting to see. And maybe one day we will see something like that, perhaps on a world such as the one described below.

In other news, a habitable planet was found outside our solar system, orbiting a red dwarf. It is a bit larger than earth and has a very short orbital period, but its temperature range would support liquid water. No word on rotation or the presence of an atmosphere. It orbits a red dwarf star, which is larger and less bright than our own sun. Wouldn't it be cool if we ever got to colonize a new planet, and it turned out to harbor life in its prehistoric stages, with giant 20 foot fungi all over the place? Like being an alien world wouldn't be strange enough. Giant fungi! That would really be something.

The nifty illustration is a scanned image of the cover of my 1978 Avon edition of Omnivore. I would credit the artist, but the book doesn't name names.

8 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

You mean, like a giant mellow mushroom? Cool!

Kathleen said...

Interesting stuff. I think giant fungi would be a bit intimidating, for some reason.

Beth said...

Wow, this was such an awesome post because I learned all this new stuff and then chewed on it for a moment. I have always been fascinated with prehistoric life ... alien life ... life on other planets. I like to eat mushrooms, but I think they're terribly ugly. I'd run in horror from a tree-size fungi.

ctheokas said...

20 Feet of Fungus is the name of my new jam band.

Jim Donahue said...

Love the illo.

fakies said...

I think that the fungus' brother may be living in my nephew's waterbed.

LL said...

As long as they didn't have a giant red eye like the one in your picture, I'd be ok with it...

Taylor said...

really because the only way I would be ok with it is if it had a giant red eye