Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Rain, Funny Headlines, and Monk Moments.

A gentle rain fell all night long. It was the first time in months that we got a nighttime rain that didn't involve thunder and lightning. Listening to it (ahhhh!) got me into a good mood. I didn't even mind (much) the heavier-than-normal traffic this morning that resulted from the rain.

A day of work has turned my good mood into a goofy mood. Example? This headline sounds vaguely naughty: Scientists Remove Hunley’s Rear Hatch. If your brain interprets "Hunley" as a person's name, and not the name of a sunken Civil War submarine, this statement is kind of funny. Or is it just my warped sense of humor at play here?

I had a "Monk moment" today at work. I was putting a label into the clear pocket on the spine of a binder, and couldn't get it in there straight. It nearly drove me crazy... a little askew, overcorrect, overcorrect the opposite direction, overcorrect again, oh no - it is just a tiny little bit crooked now. Must fix. Argh! Overcorrected! And so on. A normal human being would have left well enough alone the first time. PDM has his share of "Monk moments" as well. Actually, we both have a lot of "Monk moments". Enough to dedicate an entire post to. Look for it as a coming attraction!

4 comments:

MJW said...

Don't feel bad. I have my "Monk" moments, too. They mostly involve situations if the type that you describe. Depending on what it is, I simply cannot walk away from something that is slightly askew. One of my most obsessive-compulsive habits occurs when I am writing long hand. I simply have to make sure that my looped letters are all closed. In other words, letters such as O, A, B and D cannot have even the slightest opening in them. Why? I'm not sure, but I guess I will have to blame it on my 5th-grade teacher, who held up my penmanship paper to the entire class one day and said something like, "This is the right way to do it, class." I was pretty proud, but I was worried that it would only make things worse for me in that class of obnoxious kids (suprisingly, it didn't, as far as I remember).

Beth said...

Oh my lord, I have Monk moments. I have this OCD lifestyle. I tell myself it's not as bad as someone like Monk, but it's bad. I carry two containers of Purell in my car. When I get into my car, I squirt my hands and also pat it all over my face. Yes, I know this is nuts. I also panic if a door isn't automatic. I can't touch handles. And everything around my house is positioned in a place that I don't want moved. It's in the perfect place to me. Supposedly this means I feel I have no control over exterior crap so I'm controlling everything on the inside of my home. I disagree. I think I'm just neat.

LL said...

Monk moments Beth? YOU ARE MONK!!! :P

fakies said...

In most cases, I'm the opposite of Monk. I could live in a sewer. But this weekend, I kept straightening up and cleaning behind people. If I'm going to be Monkish, I need someone around to annoy with it. :P