Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Healthcare Ain't Like Engineering

I've been working in my new career just over a year now. I like it most days. It can take a lot out of you. It can be heartbreaking some days, and wryly humorous the next. One thing is for sure: it isn't like my old career of being an engineer toiling away in a cube farm. For one thing, some of the things you overhear are funny, especially when taken out of context. Want an example? "That is the biggest rectum I've ever seen!" If you hear that on an engineering job, it would most likely be referring to someone's dominant personality trait, but in healthcare it would literally mean someone was, um, "full" when they were scanned. I used to pore over blueprints, but now I gaze at CT scans. Let me tell you, nobody looks good on a CT scan! Not even people who look darned cute on the outside.

Speaking of medical images, did anyone else notice that during tonight's episode of House there was a weird imaging mixup? They used an endoscope to check out the patient's stomach and you see the nice color video image of the esophagus and then the stomach, then all of a sudden we're looking at an ultrasound image of something unidentifiable. The scope is still down his throat and there wasn't an ultrasound probe anywhere in sight. Strange. But interesting episode. I'm not sure I like the "new and improved" House, but from the looks of it the old House is going to be back sooner rather than later.

5 comments:

fakies said...

I hope that's a phrase I never have to use in my job. Especially considering my co-workers.

Beth said...

Did I miss the first episode of House on the new season? I really wanted to see it.

I've never overheard the big rectum thing. If I ever have any type of scan, I'll be sure to ask how mine weighs in though.

LL said...

Since blogger wouldn't take my comment this morning...


Yeah... I caught that too. I was wondering why they'd have gone through the stomach with a scope to look at a different internal organ anyway... then *click* it goes all ultrasound on us. :shrug:

fermicat said...

trinamick: Yes, I have worked with a few rectums before!

Beth: Yes, you missed the premier of House. They changed the time from 9pm to 8pm eastern.

LL: I hate it that they got the imaging so wrong.

LL said...

I still want to know why they were using a stomach scope to look at his pancreas.