Sunday, August 20, 2006

Three days and counting...

Well, more like 2.5 days from the time I am writing this. The board exam is on Wednesday just after noon. I'm off work until after the test, so I will have extra time to study and/or freak out. At this point, I am working lots of practice problems and writing all the formulas and constants over and over again in an attempt to hardwire the memory of them into my brain.

All the new carry-on restrictions are still in force, so I am trying to figure out how to have what I need for an overnight trip without having to check a bag. I have no intention of spending any time in Baggage Claim, come hell or high water. It looks like the only toiletries that I can carry on are solid anti-perspirant and lip balm. I figure the hotel can be counted on for shampoo, and might possibly have conditioner, lotion, and toothpaste. I thought of taking a little baking soda to use as toothpaste, but a little container of white powder might be difficult to explain to security, even if I offer to eat a little of it right in front of them. I'm staying at a Wyndham hotel. I read that they are supplying their guests with nearly everything that has been banned from the airplane cabin. I hope that is true! If not, I'm prepared to have flat hair, or dry skin, or whatever else I can't fix without liquids or gels. This pretty much guarantees that I will see someone that I know during the trip. But hey - that is what ponytail holders and hats were made for!

I'm flying home Wednesday night after the test. It will be so great to get my life back!! It wasn't much of a summer for us. I tried my best to study every day, so there was no time for weekend getaways, or movies, or recreation, or much of anything fun. I was walking around my yard this morning and noticed my herb garden has completely gone to seed and was covered in weeds. Sigh. It will be nice to be able to work in my yard again, and start on more house projects. There is a lot to look forward to this fall: friends, football, home improvements, and even a mini-vacation in October. What I will enjoy the most is to be able to stop and do absolutely nothing.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I added you to my blog line-up. I hope that's all right. I didn't even know all that stuff was banned for flights. Geez, I haven't flown in a long time though. My garden just produced it's first awesome squash, but it's also enveloped in weeds. We had so much flooding, I just couldn't keep up. I look like the laziest person in the world though. Haha.

fermicat said...

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I just returned the favor!

The restriction on liquids and gels is new, and hopefully temporary. We'll see. At least they didn't ban carry on bags outright. It would be so boring to fly without something to read.

LL said...

"What I will enjoy the most is to be able to stop and do absolutely nothing."

Let me know how you accomplish that. I've been shooting for that goal for the last 10 years now...