Sunday, June 03, 2007

Weekend Wrapup

So, another weekend bites the dust. What's new? Friday wasn't very good for PDM and me. He had to go in super early and worked a long day, and we had an emergency patient late in the day, so I ended up staying much later than normal. We completely missed the happy hour crowd at the pub.

As usual, it didn't rain here. But it was cloudy on Saturday, which made it cool enough to work in the yard. Since I can't plant stuff (due to no rain and all), I wrecked my hands pulling up weeds and monkey grass. I also managed to contact some poison ivy, which itches like crazy now.

On Sunday, we went to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Unlike Spidey 3, I really liked Pirates 3. Sure, it was a long movie, but not a boring movie. And I loved the little blurb after all the credits. I don't care what the critics thought - it was damn entertaining. I am a satisfied customer.

After the movie, we went to lunch and then shopped for furniture. Why is it that the majority of couches in showrooms are leather? Leather couches and cats do not mix.

Today, we turned on our air conditioning for the first time this year. Yes, in Atlanta, Georgia, we made it until June 3rd without any air conditioning. That's gotta be a record. There have been only two good things about the drought: very few mosquitoes, and low humidity. Today, it seemed muggier than usual and kind of hot, so we caved.

Did I mention that I got poison ivy, and that it itches? A whole damn lot.

I hope you had a more exciting weekend than we had. If you did, please tell us all about it in the comments!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

We got tons of rain last night! Even lost power for a short bit.

fermicat said...

I'm envious. Georgia is experiencing a year-long severe hydrological drought. It almost never rains.

ctheokas said...

Have to admit, Atlanta beat NYC when it comes to ACs. I made it to late May before I caved. Then again, it's been humid up here from all the rain. Not that I'm trying to gloat or rub it in.

fakies said...

Haven't used my air conditioning yet. I've been faithful about opening up the house in the evenings, and it stays pretty cool during the day.

Beth said...

I'm sorry about the poison ivy. I didn't really love Pirates, but I liked it. I missed the dang blurb though. DANGIT! I didn't like how they totally messed up the Calypso legend. I don't know.

Anyhow, we turned on the air conditioners the first time Saturday. Now it's cool and raining like mad. Go figure.

Kathleen said...

I held off on the a/c until Saturday - damn humidity was killing me. And I prayed for rain for you on Sunday at church. I told God that you needed it more than we did. Not that it helped because we got it and you didn't.

Weekend was pretty much a bust. Did nothing on Friday. Did nothing on Saturday (other than get the AC put in the window). Did nothing on Sunday other than church.

TheWriteGirl said...

Lousy, rotten day up until about 5 PM. I'm bummed because I was supposed to go sailing in the harbor on an old schooner today. We got rained out. That's one of the perks (or would be if the weather cooperated) about a job which otherwise gives me little to smile about.

wa11z said...

I turned my a/c on around the middle of April. I cave early. :)

fermicat said...

Y'all are so lucky you get rain (I know it doesn't seem that way when something you want to do gets rained out). It hurts to go barefoot outside because the ground is so dry and hard and the grass is all crunchy.

I'm sure I have most of you beat in the heat department - I don't mind being hot, but hate being cold. I turn the heat on early in the fall.

LL said...

Heat? Am told that we've got snow on the horizon for Wednesday...

But I'll take it.

dr sardonicus said...

Hate to rub it in, but even we got some rain over the weekend. Nothing significant, just a couple of brief downpours - enough so we had at least one day we didn't have to go out and water.