Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I'm fried, and the week's not over.

It's been a long week, and I'm too tired to come up with the witty blog post that I'd like to create. You'll have to settle for this:

You Are 66% Burned Out

You are very burned out.
You need a huge break from your responsibilities, starting as soon as possible.
And you need this time to reevaluate what you really want out of your life.
Because you're working hard and going no where... and that would burn anyone out!


I have to work late again tomorrow teaching a lab with the physics students. I hope it goes more smoothly than it did on Tuesday. It took a hell of a lot longer to do these tasks with the students than it takes me to do it alone, and I am not sure that I explained things all that well. I worked on Saturday to get the monthly QA done on time, and still have to test another machine by the end of the week. We're short staffed, and we have short tempers. With the annual testing on one of the linear accelerators I'm responsible for coming up, July isn't looking any better. Last year the annual test added 100 hours of work on top of the usual duties for the month. Except this year, the month is July and there is a holiday, I have some more teaching duties, and I will be in Minneapolis for a week to attend a conference. I'm starting to freak out a little.

At least I have a vacation to look forward to in August. The reservations are all made (southern California, not Canada), and it was not hard for me to convince PDM that we should rent a convertible instead of a boring car. It will be a nice reward for getting through July.

11 comments:

LL said...

Pfft... posting some blogthing instead of a real post. You should be ashamed. :innocent:

I'm only a 65% burnout, and I feel your pain. But what is this... vacation of which you speak?

fermicat said...

Vacation? It's kinda like that one day a year that you get to sleep late (if your mother doesn't ruin it for you), only it lasts a whole week. And you get to drive a convertible!

LL said...

And that takes a whole week? Hmmm... I might have to look into that sorta thing.

Kathleen said...

I would just like to thank you for the correct "more smoothly" vs the more popular smoother. You have made my day.

Natalie said...

Hang in there. A pending vacation is the best incentive.

fermicat said...

Oh, it gets better and better. CAUTION: RANT ALERT!!

I'm at the "alternate work location" today (until 2pm, when I have to go back to the mother ship and teach lab), and now there is a problem I have to resolve before I go. Only I can't work on it until the lunch break when the machine is free. I also discovered a problem with some test results I did at the mother ship yesterday and now I have a problem to resolve over there, too. Only I don't have any time due to having to solve the problem here first, and then having to go teach lab. And no one will answer their frikkin' pages about it, or answer email. So I guess I will be resolving the second problem after lab ends at 7:30pm or so. Nah, I didn't need to eat supper or have a life or anything... Grrrrrr.

fakies said...

77% here, but expecting improvement in a month or so. That vacation thing sounds nice. Who do you have to kill to get one of those?

LL said...

Take heart fermi, you've got liquor waiting for you at home. Oh... and PDM and the kids too.

fermicat said...

I finally figured out the two problems, got through the lab with the students, did a little catch up work and came home. Went out to eat with PDM at the restaurant where we are friends with the owner and most of the waitstaff. Actually got a good thunderstorm and some rain tonight (of course this happens while we are driving home). And now I am home with my cats and a stiff drink made with vanilla vodka.

Yeah, it's better now. As Scarlett said... "Tomorrow is another day."

Kathleen said...

I'm 56% burned out, so I guess this forced vacation next week won't be all bad. Actually, as much as I like where I work, I sometimes think I'd like a job where I actually help people. These days I'm thinking forest fire fighter. Do you think they need 42-year-old women with zero experience? Just seems more worthwhile.

BC said...

You Are 56% Burned Out
You're fairly burned out, and it shows.
You probably have been feeling a little rundown and irritable lately.
If you can, drop a few of your minor responsibilities and focus on what's really important.
You have too much on your plate, and it's catching up with you.
***********

Im not even working and its like that. I should be scared.

Enjoy your vacation. :D You obviously deserve it!!!