Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Downside of Outsourcing

Last year: Georgia Tech handled athletic ticket orders and gameday parking in house, using its own employees.

This year: GT outsourced ticket sales and parking to a private company.

Last year: I didn't get the gameday season parking location I originally requested, so I sent an email asking if they could change it. Got a quick response and I had the new parking permit in the lot I wanted the same day I sent the email.

This year: Same problem - didn't get the parking I requested, so I sent an email to the address on my permit two weeks ago asking if they could change it. No response. Then a week ago, I sent enother email - this one to the ticket office - asking the same thing. No response. So I called the ticket office last week. Got put on hold for ten minutes, then the person who took the call told me I needed to talk to the parking guy and transferred me. I left a voicemail. He called my back in the evening and left a voicemail. I called back the next day and left a return voicemail. And again on Monday. Last night he left a voicemail responding to my voicemails. Finally, two weeks and change later, I have a new parking location. It isn't exactly the lot I wanted (which probably filled up during the 2+ weeks it took me to get something done), but it is a hell of a lot better than the first one they gave me. It was a giant hassle compared with my easy experience last year.

This outsourcing deal may be saving them money, but I'm not impressed.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

humm. Urmm. Something like that I don't think they should outsource.

Dianne said...

did any of their savings ever get passed on to you ticket holders?

I doubt it

fermicat said...

Dr Jenn - We had some great guys working in the ticket office. It sucks that they lost their jobs (or had to go work for that other company, not sure which).

Dianne - hell no. Tickets went UP this year.

LL said...

Bah... just watch pro footie instead. :ewink:

fermicat said...

LL - pftjhptphhtffft.

Kathleen said...

I'm not a fan of outsourcing ever, but at least it wasn't outsourced to India or China.