Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Garden Envy

I have vacation-induced garden envy. Everywhere you look (I'm in the San Diego area), there are lush landscapes with a profusion of flowers and unusual foliage plants. The gardeners here make it seem easy, and perhaps for them it is. In spite of the arid climate, they have the advantage of having constant mild temperatures and an unlimited growing season.

It is inspiring. Maybe when I get home I can at least try a little harder to work with what is already in my gardens. That would be a good start. It is a hobby that I miss.

4 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

San Diego, like nearly all of Southern California, relies heavily on water brought in from the Colorado River, a very precarious arrangement. Those gardens may not stay green forever.

Jim Donahue said...

I hate working in the garden--and I'm the son of a farmer!

Shhh--don't tell him.

Jim Donahue said...

Oh, but I love visiting gardens, so go figure.

fermicat said...

dr s - it was definitely weird seeing people watering their stuff whenever. We've been under watering restrictions so long it seems normal.

jim - I like some garden chores and dislike others. It also depends on the weather. Weeding is fine, unless it is hot and you are in the sun. But I agree that visiting gardens is very nice. You can appreciate all the work that someone else had to do to make that garden lovely.