Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Wild and Crazy Physicists

I’m having a better time than I expected at the physics meeting this week. It turns out that these medical physicists are a fun, friendly group of people. For example, I was walking to lunch yesterday with three other female physicists and all of a sudden we were joined by a group of five physicists that we don’t know, and we all ended up going to lunch together and getting to know each other. We were laughing about it later – it’s like we got hijacked. But this kind of thing is how I’ve met a lot of new people, especially other physicists who, like me, are in the process of getting board certification. The small groups of physicists walking around Minneapolis seem to aggregate into larger groups at random.

Given that there seem to be some wild and crazy physicists here, the “night out” tonight should be a hoot! On tap: food and drink, live music, and a “lumberjack show” (whatever that is). I’ll tell you all about it next time.

11 comments:

Natalie said...

Definitely some of my wildest times have been at physics conferences. I always thoroughly enjoy them. There's just something about a large group of people that generally don't care what others think of them. Have a fantastic evening!

Kelly said...

Interesting! Something I didn't know about physicist.

dr sardonicus said...

Physicists on the loose...the world is no longer safe...lock up the children and the elderly...

Anonymous said...

You would think that the people who put on these physics conferences would have learned a long time ago never to allow physicists (who generally seem to be very reserved by nature when isolated from others in their profession ;-) to fraternize with one another. That goes double for female physicists. LOL!

I hope you are having a blast in the north-central United States and are eager to come back again sometime.

TheWriteGirl said...

I have always thought that scientists have the most fun. They are all usually doing work that they really enjoy and hanging out with people who dig what they're talking about.

Kathleen said...

I think all conventions are probably like this, be they held by physicists, historians, economists, psychologists, etc. There will be boring people in every group, I'm sure, but all in all, people are generally fun.

ctheokas said...

You know, in NYC, most of the tourist-related crimes are committed by physicists in town for conventions. They're like gangs! Hassling the tourists from Idaho! Tripping the botanists! It's madness, I say! MADNESS!

fermicat said...

Things are winding down with the physics meeting. Night Out was a hoot, especially the lumberjacks. I'll post a picture or two once I get home and download them.

wa11z said...

My idea of physicists cutting loose is drinking one extra glass of ginger ale while reciting the periodic table backwards as they listen to Laurence Welk. Just me.

dr sardonicus said...

I had this vision of wild-eyed gangs of physicists with spray paint tagging buildings with vectors and coefficients...

Anonymous said...

Re: dr sardonicus' latest comment: Hahahaha!!

Fermicat, you know that only people who really like you would have this much fun making fun. ;-D