Sunday, July 08, 2007

Doctor Who and Cuban Pork Roast

Another weekend bites the dust. It started out pretty good: left work at 3:55pm on Friday guilt-free, then made it to the pub early enough to see the old guys who come in for happy hour. Got caught up with a girlfriend who I haven't seen in a month and chatted with a few of the other regulars. Then it was off to Mellow Mushroom for a medium pizza with pepperoni, sausage, onion and jalapeño to go. We timed it so that we'd be home for the season three (US) premier of Doctor Who, and we were already stocked up with wine and beer for the event.

Saturday was kind of "blah". I read a lot (but not the newspaper, which apparently I neglected to renew our subscription for - oops), took a nap, and played with the cats.

Today I went into work to do some of the annual testing on the linear accelerator ("linac") - it has to be done after hours when there are no patients being treated. I got a decent chunk of it done. I'm working tomorrow evening and might be caught up with the annual as much as is possible for now. In return for working two of the last three weekends, I am taking Friday off.

While I was working, PDM was in the kitchen going through a trial run with a new recipe - Cuban pork roast. It took him 8 hours start to finish, not counting the 24-hour soak in a brine solution. We're making this and lots of other yummy Caribbean-themed dishes next weekend for our summer cookout and needed to know how long it takes and whether or not the recipe needs any adjustments. Taste testing is a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. And I am happy to report that it was very good. PDM served it up with "mo jo sauce", black beans, jalapeño cheddar cornbread, and plantain chips. Hungry now?

7 comments:

Natalie said...

OMG that sounds excellent. Good thing I'm eating home made cornbread for breakfast. Yummy. Will you be serving mojitos at this gathering as well?

Kelly said...

Sounds wonderful. I am starving!

wa11z said...

My mouth is watering...

dr sardonicus said...

I'm tempted to come down for the weekend...

Beth said...

PDM is the man cooking and everything. My husband can't cook a thing.

Wow, whatever you're working on is so complex, I actually forgot the name of it. I'm in awe of your brain.

I saw Dr. Who on the BBC, or atleast the ad for it yesterday. Brought me back to my childhood.

They're also doing "Jekyll" on the BBC, which I think I'm going to have to watch.

fermicat said...

magnetbabe - I hadn't thought of mojitos, but I do have plenty of fresh mint in the herb garden.

myuptopia and wa11z - it was damn good!

dr s - it's a long drive, but can you bring your rainmaking weed whacker?

beth - the cooking husband is a pretty cool thing.

Kathleen said...

I'm jealous of the cooking husband. Not the husband part, really, just the cooking part. ;-)