Monday, March 26, 2007

Random Aches Are A Pain.

While I'm not exactly an old person yet, it would be accurate to say that I am also no longer young (at least, not physically). And there is nothing like a completely random ache or pain to remind me of that.

Yesterday, for no particular reason I can think of, I got the backache from hell. It hurt to walk. When I did, it consisted of shuffling around with minimal hip movement wherever possible (which resulted in a very odd gait), bent over at a twenty degree angle, continuously rubbing at the small of my back in a vain attempt to soothe the fire. Sexy, no? It feels like somebody drove a horizontal line of rusty nails in between my sacrum and my L5 vertebra. It was slightly better this morning, but is getting worse by the hour. I can't wait to lift the heavy equipment to the treatment bench this afternoon when I do the monthly tests on the accelerator. That's gonna be swell!

Wouldn't it be great to have a day where nothing at all hurt? I'm sure it happens all the time when you are a kid, but you have no idea that you should savor that feeling and appreciate it. You probably never noticed. I never did.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

I consider myself pretty young, and I still wake up with an achey back, knee, or shoulder, from wrestling, lacrosse, and car accident accordingly; toss in the fact that my Doctor said if I keep playing the drums I will develope carpal tunnel and I think I am looking forward to a fairly painful old age, but hey maybe I will be able to be one of those people that feels weather in their bones.

Additionally, I hope you are feeling better!

Dave said...

My father had a recliner when I was a kid. His chair. Not anyone elses. His.

I used snicker under my breath when he would moan and groan getting out of it. Having done my share of moaning and growning over the past few years, I wouldn't do that now if I had the chance.

Get well soon.

fakies said...

I can already accurate predict the weather by my joints and headaches, so I can literally feel your pain. Hope it improves soon.

wa11z said...

I feel fine.

fermicat said...

It seems to be on the mend. I did about half an hour of very careful gardening this evening when I got home and didn't seem to aggravate it. Thanks for all the kind words.

TheWriteGirl said...

Is it low back pain? I can give you a few great stretches to do for it. I had a really killer pinched sciatic nerve back when my son was about 2. I was trying to pick him up out of the bathtub and ZING! I could barely walk the next day. I went to the chiropractor and he fixed it. He also taught me a few stretches to do to keep it from coming back. It works!

Kathleen said...

You poor thing. I can't remember the last time - yes, I can, I was in Mexico - was able to walk steps w/o severe knee pain. Yesterday's rain had my feet and knees killing me. I'm getting a massage today because my neck and shoulder muscles are tighter than my father's wallet, and now I think that was the reason for my funky arm pain last week.