Thursday, March 15, 2007

Brackets

Et tu, fermicat?

Yes, I'm afraid so.

This year I have fully succumbed to March Madness.

I've entered my crazy ass predictions for the NCAA tourney in our office pool. What the hell... why not? Well, one potential "why not?" is that my sports wagers are usually a total disaster, which is why I don't often make them. Someone once spotted me 50 points on a football game. Sounds like a bet you can't lose, except when your team gets clobbered 51-0. This year I've decided not to let a little thing like bad sports karma get in the way of having some fun. Besides, the guy who finished dead last for the past two years in a row will feel so much better about himself if I end up in the cellar instead of him.

My picks are part wishful thinking (Georgia Tech is in my Elite Eight), part voodoo (I've got Long Beach upsetting Tennessee, along with a couple of 10th seeds beating 7th seeds, and Florida NOT going to the Final Four), and part number cruching (thanks to the "Logistic Regression/Markov Chain" model basketball ranking system developed by some Georgia Tech ISYE profs). I'm hoping the geek stuff gives me an edge!

Got any predictions of your own? Leave 'em in the comments. Don't feel that you have to limit your awesome prognosticative abilities to basketball, either. Feel free to foretell any sort of bizarre occurrence that floats your boat.

10 comments:

fakies said...

I don't follow basketball, so I can't help you there. But I can predict that I will have meat falling off the bones by noon. I wore long sleeves because it was snowing. And now the sun is shining and the snow is already melted. *sigh*

Oh, and I predict that Tom Cruise will be put in the booby hatch by 2009.

Kathleen said...

I wonder sometimes if I'm the only person who gets annoyed by March Madness and the fact that basketball is all you can find on sports channels. I was surprised to find out though that UConn wasn't in it. I thought they were always in the Final Four.

Haphazard predictions? I will not watch a Tom Cruise movie this year. Ferrari will suck in F1 this year because my favorite driver moved to their team. The Tigers will win the damned World Series (okay, I don't predict that, I want that).

fermicat said...

trin - we have to wait until 2009?

kat - I feel the same way about baseball playoffs (except when the Braves are in the running - then I am sort of interested).

Dave said...

"My picks are part wishful thinking (Georgia Tech is in my Elite Eight)...." Wishful? I wish you well.

fermicat said...

dave - we've got a lot of freshmen playing, so you never know what to expect. Since I can't be objective about my alma mater, I might as well be optimistic! Even if it wrecks my bracket... (which Maryland nearly did earlier today - ack!!).

LL said...

I wouldn't even begin to try and pick this years tourney. There are absolutely no dominant teams anywhere...

As for other predictions...

I predict Sawyer will come in as one of the top two on the Hurt/Heal game, trinamick will have a laugh at my expense before the year's out, and fermi will have at least one more post about Georgia Tech football, and how bad they miss Calvin Johnson.

Beth said...

I don't get March Madness, but I do have a case of Spring Fever. Can't wait to start planting, raking, seeding again.

I was just browsing at your cat pics again. You should make a cat picture book. You have a gift. They're amazing. Truly.

fermicat said...

ll - those predictions seem like safe bets to me.

beth - just today I noticed that Spring is officially here (the telltale sign was the pollen on my car). One week of warm weather and the trees are flowering and leaves are poppin' out all over the place. I've been doing spring yard work for over a month now. Weeding, pruning, raking, planting, mulching... even had to cut the grass once already!

Kathleen said...

Oh trust me, I don't generally care about baseball except for the Tigers. I usually just wish someone would beat the Yankees.

fermicat said...

Yes, anyone beating the Yankees is a cause for celebration!