Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Who turned the heat off?

Our high of 73 yesterday set a new record. Today it is back to work, and back to winter. Well, “winter” such as it is in the Deep South. If the forecast is accurate, we are due for some rain, freezing rain, and sleet on Thursday morning. I can’t wait to drive to work in that.

Since PDM and I both had a long weekend, we planned to do some stuff around the house. If we’d known it would be in the 70s all weekend and not raining two out of the three days, we might have made other plans! We tackled the crappiest chore first – painting the ceiling in the kitchen. I don’t mind painting walls, but painting a ceiling (especially a vaulted one like ours) is literally a pain in the neck. No one notices when it’s done, but they notice when it needs doing like ours did. You spend all your time awkwardly standing on a ladder with the roller on a stick held way over your head, craning your neck to look straight up. Makes me cranky.

The good news is that the kitchen renovation we started nearly a year ago is finally complete! This project deserves its own post some day, but in a nutshell - we completely gutted the tired, old kitchen and cannibalised the attached eat-in area to make one giant, modern kitchen. The old ceiling fan (blades long since removed) was the last original item left, and it was taken down before we started painting. After the paint was dry, PDM installed the last of the new light fixtures and now the kitchen is finished. Until we change it again...

We spent Sunday and Monday painting our living/dining room. We also bought PDM a suit (he needs it for the fancy-pants party my employers are throwing tomorrow at the High Museum of Art), watched four hours of 24, and visited our new local Trader Joe’s to stock up on "three buck Chuck", beer, and appetizers for the shindig we’re hosting on Saturday. I feel pretty good about all the stuff we accomplished this weekend. Nothing like a deadline (hey, lets have a party!) to light a fire under your arse.

16 comments:

LL said...

It's actually going to get below freezing there?

Man... I feel for ya. ;)

fermicat said...

My dad used to predict how many "days of winter" we'd have every year. The answer was always between zero and three.

LL said...

I have a friend from Driggs. One summer they had 35 frost free days.

fermicat said...

I say that is not a place fit for human habitation!

wa11z said...

Did you say beer?

fakies said...

Clearly, you have more ambition than I. I took one look at my textured ceilings and said, "They're white enough." The next owner can paint them.

fermicat said...

KTM - We installed some new light fixtures in a different spot than the previous lights. It involved cutting and repairing drywall, so we didn't have a choice about the painting. At least our ceilings are all smooth.

Wa11z - it ain't a party without beer!

Jim Donahue said...

It's 25 on Long Island. Bleh.

(I'm adding you to my blogroll, BTW. If you would do likewise, it would be appreciated. No pressure!)

fermicat said...

jim - Thanks, and Done!

fermicat said...

I wouldn't be surprised. It's bad enough painting the ceiling one solid color.

dr sardonicus said...

Up here in Nashville, we're having our annual two weeks of winter.

Painting ceilings really isn't all that rough - installing the new light fixtures was the hard part. Anyway, it all looks good from here.

Over at Pole Hill, meanwhile, you get the last laugh.

Kathleen said...

The only way my house gets cleaned is to have people over. I hate that it's a mess, but I'd just rather knit.

fermicat said...

Dr S - :-) I left a comment over at your place. Let the heckling begin!

kat - We have the same problem. most of the time when we clean the house, it is because we have people coming over. Cat hair makes HUGE dust bunnies (or is it dust kitties?). Maybe the cat hair wouldn't do that if we'd suck it up with the vacuum more than once in a while...

Dave said...

Fermi, if I may use the diminutive, thanks for the link to my blog.

fakies said...

BTW, I love those windows. Even though I live in a cave, as my mother says, I like having the option of sunshine, ya know?

fermicat said...

We like 'em too! We've been there a year now. Maybe one day we'll get some shades, blinds, or curtains so our neighbors can no longer look straight into our home.