Monday, January 29, 2007

A Day Off, Sort Of

I took the day off, but it was because I worked on Sunday (so it wasn't a "real" day off). I got lot of stuff done. It is so much easier to get around during a weekday when everyone is at work. Bank, post office, that sort of thing. As soon as traffic started to become a pain in the ass, I made a beeline back home.

I got a 1GB memory card for my new camera, and a wireless network card for my old desktop computer. Wireless cards are cheap, so why not? The memory card was pretty cheap also, after discount and assuming I don't procrastinate away my rebate (which has happened before). Anyone who has seen my Flickr photostream lately knows that I've been having a lot of fun with my camera. Now I can make many more lame attempts at creating 'art' before I have to stop and download because the camera's full.

I also took my notebook computer to the shop. Why is this noteworthy? Because it hasn't worked right in over two years and this was one of my longest-running procratinated tasks, that's why. Maybe they can fix it, and maybe they can't, but after 2+ years I am fairly certain that it ain't gonna fix itself.

I forgot to pick up tax software (oops), decided not to get my oil changed because I didn't bring a book with me (technically it is not due for another two hundred miles or so, and I don't think I have ever in my life taken a car in for service *early*), and left a few other things not done. I didn't want to cause a cosmic rift (or something worse) by emptying my "to do" list in one day. That would be most unnatural! So you can rest easy knowing that my desk still has piles of stuff I need to file, my yard is still full of those sweet gum balls, and my flowerbeds are still buried under dead leaves. The yardwork was the easiest thing to put off for later - it was still below freezing at noon today, so forget that. [Yes, I can hear you westerners, mid-westerners, and yankees laughing at me. Say what you want, but if it isn't at least 55F, the dang yardwork can wait.]

5 comments:

wa11z said...

Today was cold. I wanted to stay home in bed and read. I am also currently putting off my oil change. I'm past due. :)

Kathleen said...

I was so past due on my oil change that I was embarrassed. I turned into a complete girl or something, but I'm hoping to get back on the ball and only be a couple hundred miles overdue.

I used to have Fridays off (worked 4 10-hour days) and I loved having the chance to drive around when most people were at work. Of course, I live in Florida of the North so it's always fun playing "Dodge the Senior Citizen."

fermicat said...

wa11z - Still cold? I know I am, and can't wait for that sleet they're predicting for Thursday. Please, please, PLEASE happen so I can stay home from work. I feel like a little kid wanting school to be cancelled for snow.

Kat - you crack me up! Having to deal with old slowpokes and bone chilling cold at the same time would be intolerable for me.

I don't let my slackness about oil changes embarrass me. I only took my old Toyota in once or twice a year, and it didn't seem to hurt anything. The only reason I'm keeping up with it on the new one is so I don't invalidate the warranty. I'm sure I will get slack about it once that is gone.

fakies said...

When you get done with your to-do list, feel free to start on mine. It's mocking me.

fermicat said...

trin - as long as you're not in a hurry... :-D