Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Meet Fermi


This is my favorite photo of Fermi (1989-2000), my online namesake. She was named after physicist Enrico Fermi. Her sister was a solid gray cat named Pauli, who was killed by curiosity at the age of two. This photo was taken in the summer of 1990, when I was a graduate student in physics (thus the naming scheme).

She is stretched out inside a hollowed out branch of a gnarled old peach tree. The tree bore delicious peaches in spite of its aged condition. You can see another hollowed out branch behind her, propped up on a sawhorse and loaded with healthy-looking offshoots.

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh my, she was beautiful and reminds me of my beloved Zapata who was put to sleep back in 1999.

You do know that I live about 25-30 miles from the Fermi plant, right? Did you ever read the book "We Almost Lost Detroit?"

fakies said...

I love black cats the most. Just don't tell my striped housemate.

wa11z said...

Cool pic. Fermi was a beautiful animal. Are you ever gonna name one Einstein?

fermicat said...

I did have a cat named Einstein, who was actually not very smart. But he was large and friendly, and kind of goofy as well. Maybe I'll post his pic one day. He died a couple of years ago.

Hedy said...

Hey I live less than 2 miles from Fermilab in Illinois. Come up for a visit some time and we'll take the tour. :)

fermicat said...

Cool! I'm a big fan.