Saturday, January 20, 2007

Time to celebrate.

It’s our “house-iversary”. One year ago today we spent the afternoon signing a metric crapload of documents and the house we chose was ours. Well, sort of ours, you know. We still have to finish paying for it. After the closing, we changed into work clothes, and spent the evening ripping up all of the nasty old carpets and padding. Underneath was very good quality hardwood flooring and about a million staples. Turns out, pulling up the carpet is the easy part. Removing each staple one by one… that part sucks. [Sanding and refinishing the floors no doubt sucks as well, but we paid someone else to do that.]

We’ve had house projects going on ever since that day. Some hellishly big. Some very minor. And there is a long list of projects we have yet to begin. I don’t think you ever stop wanting to improve things, at least not when you live in a vintage 1965 home. It is sometimes frustrating, often a pain (literally), and usually expensive. But there is something very satisfying about the process, especially on projects that you do yourself.

This weekend we’re taking a break from home improvement. Tonight, we’ll have our friends over to enjoy this home with us. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate our first year.

Here is what the kitchen and breakfast area looked like about a year ago:



Here is what it looks like these days (we got rid of the old eat-in area to make one much larger kitchen out of the whole space). The big window is still there, you just can't see it because I was standing too close to the 'fridge when I took the picture.

7 comments:

wa11z said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see what else you do indide.

Beth said...

Wow, the kitchen is so warm and inviting now. Great job! We've renovated our whole small home, inside and out, but we have a ways to go. I don't think it ever ends!

LL said...

AAAAAAHHHHHGGGHH!!! You wrecked the place!!! :P

TheWriteGirl said...

Beautiful job! Love the kitchen. The finish on the cabinets is a lovely color. I wish you many wonderful meals there.

Until I sold my house (at a tidy profit, I might add) 2 1/2 years ago, I also had some improvement project going at all times. With the exception of the garden and lawn, I didn't do the work myself. I paid roofers and masons and carpenters and painters and tile guys to do it for me. Which was why I was broke all the time. House poor, that was me.

And let's not forget the year that I had to replace the furnace, the AC compressor and the washing machine all within a 12 month period. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

fermicat said...

Thanks for the complements, y'all. The party was fun, and we have a ton of food, wine and beer left over. That's not such a bad thing. :-)

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful kitchen! I can't even imagine the work you did.

fakies said...

Much improved, I'd say. Not that the first one wasn't nice, but the second one is COOL. :)