Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Product Design 101: Don't do this. Ever.

I have a Dell computer at work. Every time I need to plug in a USB device, I get angry.

What's wrong with this design? It is a tower computer - usually people will put these on the floor. Yes, really. The USB hub on the front (read:semi-accessible) side of the computer is near the bottom on the unit. There is a cover plate that hinges outward from the top. The actual USB port is a few inches from the bottom of the front panel, under this cover that hinges upward (blocking your view from above), and the port is angled 45 degrees so your device must be inserted from a downward direction. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! Every time I want to plug something in, I have to crawl down under my desk, put my foot under the front of the tower to raise it up, and struggle without being able to see what I'm doing to place my USB device into the slot at an angle. I never get the orientation correct on the first try, nor do I find the slot on my first attempt. Bulky or long USB devices don't fit at all, unless you keep the computer tower tipped back the whole time. This is STUPID product design, plain and simple. Why not put the USB slot near the top, in an easily visible position without the angle?!? I guess that would make far too much sense! Grrrrrrrr.

4 comments:

fakies said...

You preacher, me choir. I gripe about it constantly. Every time my boss uses my computer, he gets his flash drive stuck or nearly tears the cover off. Plus, I'm in a dress every day - not exactly attire for crawling under desks unless you're Monica Lewinsky. I'm not.

LL said...

Oh c'mon KTM... I'm sure you look just fine crawling on your hands and knees in a dress. :P

My USB ports are on the BACK of my comp. Try finding one of those by feel... *grumblegrumble*

Anonymous said...

One word....












...Macintosh

fermicat said...

Yes, I married a Mac snob. *Sigh*

But he's right about this one -- the front USB ports are easy to get to on his Mac.