Monday, October 09, 2006

Indian Summer

We had another one of those perfect early autumn days today. Here in the southeast, fall is a different kind of season than in other places. Early fall is much like summer, except it's comfortable instead of hot, crisp and dry rather than humid. At night it is chilly enough to light a fire if you want to, but mild enough to keep the windows open all night without getting too cold. Fall color is more muted than in higher elevations, but it starts later and lasts longer. Our trees won't be bare until late November. I miss the fire and intensity of the fall display in New England, but I don't miss the early end of summer or the cold, cold nights, or it getting dark absurdly early. I much prefer to spend my autumn here in Georgia. Besides, the north Georgia mountains aren't far away if we get a hankerin' for some bright fall foliage.

I drove home from work with sunroof and windows open, and a warm, gentle wind in my hair. I wish my commute would always be this pleasant. Of course the nice weather was only half the story. The other cool thing was how nearly every signal was green and traffic was light - maybe because of Columbus Day? And I filled up my tank for $1.999/gallon. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Hope your day was just as pleasant!

5 comments:

LL said...

It was 37 degrees here at 1:00... and rainy. Gives you something to look forward to... right?

Beth said...

$1.99?? Jealous!

I'm a New Englander. I love our autumns, summers, and all the rest of it. Well, maybe not all the snow. Or the ice. Or the slush. OK, I love three of our season immensely.

fermicat said...

ll - 37F and rain sounds like January to me! And no, I won't look forward to that... :P

Beth - Fall in NE was lovely, but it doesn't make up for the fact that my least favorite season lasts five months of the year. Ack! My southern blood couldn't take it anymore.

fakies said...

We got snow. I don't want to talk about it.

$1.99? Sickening. We're still at $2.35.

Anonymous said...

Yup, glad to be in the South again, too!