Saturday, September 06, 2008

An Ugly Win

Georgia Tech 19
Boston College 16

As Coach Paul Johnson said last week, “I learned a long time ago an ugly win is better than a pretty loss.” He said much the same thing today on the post game radio show.

It was a defensive game on both sides of the ball, with lots of mistakes to go around, but to my surprise Tech came out on top. We fumbled the opening kickoff return and recovered. First play on offense also featured a mistake. There were way too many fumbles today. It was getting ridiculous. But a good Tech defense kept BC settling for field goals, and we finally got enough offense going against a very tough BC defense to get the job done. Plus, we got a safety! That doesn't happen very often and is a lot of fun to watch. Good effort by both teams. We were on pins and needles the entire game. It could have gone either way, and was quite a battle.

Our gathering of friends was fun and the food was tasty (chili dogs and brats). We'll probably head over to the pub later to watch the 8:00 games and have some supper.

THWG!

8 comments:

Jeni said...

Well, at least one of my "blogger buds" is happy over the outcome of this game. It's highly doubtful that "Suldog" will have much nice to say later today based on this score, for sure. And he, poor fellow, was going to watch it "live and in person." At least, viewing a sport on tv you can go to the kitchen, bathroom or even turn the darned thing off if the game takes a bad turn for one's team. Not so, when you are in the stands -unless you flat get up and leave and then, I for one, wouldn't be able to do that cause I'd be thinking then of how much moola I'd shelled out for the privilege of being there in those stands. (Ah the curse of having Scottish ethnicity strikes again!)

fermicat said...

I think both teams can be proud of their effort. But winning definitely feels better than losing!

I had hope. Less hope after all those mistakes in the first half, but hope nonetheless. I didn't BELIEVE until the very end.

As one of the old guys in the stands said at last week's game, "Ah yup, now we got a coach who gives a shit." It makes a big difference.

dr sardonicus said...

I sense another Humanitarian Bowl invitation in the making...

tiff said...

OK, you got me at the brats. Good to know that your team got the win they needed.

LL said...

Any win is a good win. For some reason, a string of pretty losses always results in getting fired, but ugly wins maintain a paycheck.

fermicat said...

dr s - while I hope Tech can maintain its consecutive bowl streak (not an easy task during a transition year), it would be even better if we get to play somewhere east of the Mississippi.

tiff - how can you NOT have beer and brats when watching college football?

ll - I agree, any win is good. Especially when you hit the road for your first conference game and your young team is a 7-point underdog.

Kathleen said...

Congrats on the win...considering Michigan lost their game as did the Lions, you're doing better than anybody I'd consider "my" team - if I gave a crap about football (professional or College). I care so little that I actually care more that George Tech won for your sake.

fermicat said...

kat - aww, that is kinda sweet that you care about me being happy with college FB. ;-) We'll take all the well-wishing we can get! We're gonna need it this year.