Monday, August 17, 2009

Working In Exile

A few weeks ago, my boss told me that my work location would be changing two days a week. I was not thrilled about this news.

Today was the first day. My new assignment is in our grittiest, most urban location. (Dave, I am sure you can put two and two together and figure out where I am spending my Mondays and Tuesdays now, although I am not going to come right out and say it on the blog.) The day got off to a rough start.

I left the house earlier than usual in an attempt to avoid rush hour traffic on the new, longer commute to downtown. Didn't work. The drive in was an adrenaline-laced, white knuckled, profanity-inducing experience that I am not looking forward to repeating this afternoon. Parking? Hassle. Neighborhood? Not the greatest. I won't be working after dark. Ever.

It turns out that a procedure I had been told I only needed to be physically present for was something I was expected to handle on my own. I've never used this equipment before, so I ended up calling for someone to come over from main campus to show me how to use it. Less than ideal.

And now I am sitting in a very cold, austere office at lunchtime. I'm staring at blank white walls and a tiny monitor. I cannot play music because there are no speakers. This is unfortunate, because the office seems to share a wall with the staff restroom and I can hear pretty much everything that goes on in there. As well as every conversation at the front desk and waiting area right outside my door.

The good news is that it cannot possibly get much worse, so it has to get better. Right? I'll repeat the often-used mantra of unhappy employees everywhere in these troubled times: "At least I have a job."

16 comments:

Jeni said...

You have my sympathy! Anytime you have to voice the words "at least I have a job" in order to keep yourself calm, focused, semi-happy -whatever -it makes for a lot of very unpleasant reactions within yourself then too. Bad karma. I had many jobs in which I said those words, over and over to myself. That and "This too shall pass!"

LL said...

Sounds like you need to look at leaving the big ATL. Go West young lass. What you do is probably in high demand out here. That and we don't have the heat or humidity you do down there. ;)

Dave said...

But, it's where we go in a life threatening emergency and get out of as soon as is possible.

And, you're right, no after dark. I'll ask my cop friend for the safest routes.

fermicat said...

Jeni - the people seem nice, so maybe it won't be that bad once I get to know them.

LL - I dunno. Got family here and our roots go deep. And there is PDM and his job to consider.

Dave - I was thinking of taking the train into the Ga State station and walking from there. $3.50 for a round trip is cheaper than $6.00 for parking, plus I don't have to deal with all of the aggressive idiots on the interstate.

Dave said...

Interstate: right lane 60 to 65.

Parking: isn't there a garage right next to the west facing main, I think, entrance? It's kind of gloomy, I'd think not a night friendly place. They don't pay for your parking? Do MARTA I guess.

fermicat said...

Dave - I have a parking spot that I pay for... at the main location. That is why I am a little cheesed off that I have to pay to park at the gritty urban place. I need to have a conversation with our administrator. BTW, my urban location is in an outbuilding from the big place you are thinking of (and yes, part of the same system), but only a few blocks away.

dr sardonicus said...

But at least you can get to your blog from your work computer...

fermicat said...

dr s - that's true. They are cool with the whole 'not blocking the fun stuff' bit.

Dianne said...

so sorry about this turn of events

BC said...

That sucks and yes the whole 'at least I have a job' thing is the only thing that keeps us going.

Hang in there. There HAS to be something better soon. Grit your teeth like I do.

Natalie said...

Whoa, that sounds ghetto. My mom works at the county hospital in downtown Minneapolis. It can get very rough, but as she says, "Hey, at least if anything happens I'm already in a hospital!"

If I were you, I'd try to find an alternate, low stress route. There's got to be one. I am phobic of the interstate and have navigated my way around several urban areas now. It will be worth the extra time if you aren't having panic attacks each time you go. As for the parking? I'd raise a stink about that if you are paying to park elsewhere.

Kathleen said...

My sympathies are with you...hell, I walk to work and the thought of driving in Detroit rush hour traffic makes me unhappy. The idea of Atlanta rush hour makes me want to cry, since I've been in it - once. And that was enough.

Jenn said...

MP3 for music? Be Safe!

All I can think of my word veri is scoobie doo: oforow

fermicat said...

Sooooo. The first day was rough, but the second day was much better. Riding the train lowered the commute stress significantly (the tradeoff was the extra time involved) and I got to do some more interesting stuff than I normally get to do on Tuesdays. It will take a while to get used to the two location thing again, but I am feeling better about it now.

BC said...

At least with the train you dont have to find a place to park.

Hope it gets better for you.

Kathleen said...

And taking the train gives you time to read or knit...not all bad.