Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What happens when your cat barfs on your stereo receiver?

Absolutely nothing. And that's a problem.

The top of the receiver is covered with vent slots and is a favorite basking spot for Zima, because it gets toasty warm and she likes good tunes. Too bad she didn't hop down before she horked up a hairball sometime today. It dripped right through those vent holes onto the circuit board below, soaking the electronics. Crap.

Said receiver is now cleaned (as best we could), vacuumed to remove a mountain of cat fur, and resting (sans cover) in a closed room to dry. Maybe it'll work again... I don't have high hopes.

5 comments:

Dave said...

First the camera, then the computer, now the receiver. The common denominator seems to be electronics, beyond first names - Zima vs. Fermi/Cosmic.

dr sardonicus said...

It doesn't look good for your receiver. We had a male cat who once barfed inside our cable box. the box had to be replaced, and the cable company was none too happy. This was one of the incidents that caused us to switch to Dish Network, which has handled all of our service needs without complaint for seven years now.

The stereo was also one of Maltese's favorite perches. I took care to make sure that the receiver had enough room to vent, but not enough room for a cat to sit atop it. I couldn't do the same with the turntable, though, and today the dust cover has a horizontal crack from end to end that serves as a memorial to the big guy.

LL said...

Ahhh... you needed a new one anyway... right?

fermicat said...

dave - I'm starting to think all those nasty things I said about electromagnetics back when I was taking the introductory course as an undergraduate are coming back to haunt me.

dr. s - I didn't see the hairball until I turned it on and it started up in 'protect' mode. That was my clue to look around for the problem. Maybe this saved it from further damage, but probably not. I'll find out tonight.

ll - Not really.

TheWriteGirl said...

Might you want to think about putting your electronics in places that are not cat-accessible?thres