Monday, April 16, 2007

Thinking Blogger Awards



Beth made my day today by giving Cosmic Cat a 'Thinking Blogger Award'.

Says Beth: This is another blogger who is just witty, but her wit isn't what I love best about her blog. Strangely enough, it's her photographs of cats. I hate to admit it, but I'm not a big cat lover. I'm a dog person and haven't seen any pictures of felines that ever made me stop to study them. Hers do. If she never has a coffee table book of her cat photos, it'll be a crying shame. Even if you don't love cats, check out these amazing photographs of hers. In them, perhaps for the first time, you'll see the personality and soul of her subjects -- her own cats.

Thanks, Beth! In spite of the blog's title (which I came up with while drinking copious amounts of wine one summer evening), I try to limit the cat stuff, because the blog isn't really about cats. I'm not sure what the blog's supposed to be, to be honest. It is part creative outlet, part social activity, and part therapy for the writer. But I do hope that I can write in a way that keeps great people coming around. Even if I have to bribe them with the occasional cat photo.

Before I spread the love, here are the rules:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme, and
3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn't fit your blog).

I only get to pick five, but if you are in my "linky goodness" list and I visit you a lot, then you all deserve the award. Except Stellar, who never posts anything new. But since I have to choose... Here are five blogs that make me think (and sometimes laugh hysterically):

1. Random Squeegee - This was the first blog I started reading that wasn't written by a total stranger. John, or 'generic_screenname' as I knew him back then, linked to his freshly-minted blog from the message board that a lot of us used to frequent back in the good old days several years ago. He is one of the most creative story-tellers on the net (the other would be trinamick, who has already won one of these). My only complaint is that he isn't posting very often, but I can't fault him for having a life...

2. Kat's Musings and Meanderings - Kat was the first blogger I discovered through my friends' links who wasn't part of the old message board crowd. I quickly became hooked, and especially enjoy her thoughts on books and movies. Her personal stories are also highly entertaining.

3. Rather Than Working - Dave is another Atlanta resident who somehow wandered into Cosmic Cat one day and is now a regular commenter. He's got an interesting blog. Insightful posts about current issues are woven in with humor and posts highlighting other very high quality blogs that I probably would never have found on my own. His posts tend to be accompanied by thoughtful comments from his regulars. It definitely qualifies as a 'thinking blog' without being dry and stuffy. Who knew a lawyer could be so likable? ;-)

4. Pole Hill Sanitarium - One of my favorite things about this blog is that I never know what I'm going to find, but it is always something good. Current events and politics are frequent topics, with plenty of supporting links. Then there are the humorous posts, and lots of biographical entries. Great stuff!

5. The Velvet Blog - I'm going to finish up with a blogger who knows how to make people laugh, and sometimes think at the same time. Think Jon Stewart. Pithy, witty posts with plenty of visuals for your amusement. Mix in some vintage 1950s video clips from YouTube, posts about obscure music acts you've probably never heard of but should have, and a regular guest Sock Monkey, and you've got more than enough reason to go get some Velvet every day.

Now... just for Beth: A photo of Zima and me (well, part of me is in the picture).

12 comments:

TheWriteGirl said...

Congratulations on your spiffy award. I concur with her assessment. There is (almost) nothing more valuable and rare than wit. A toast to wit! And to you. And to the kitties who occasionally inspire you.

Dave said...

Jeez Fermi, thanks. As to the "nice" lawyer thing, when I told my father way back that I was quiting my job with a major corporation that paid pretty well, had nice fringes, etc., to go to law school, there was a pause, too long a pause, on the phone. He finally said "but you're a nice person." Law school and practice have done their best to beat it out of me.

I'll do a post, probably tonight, to link to some thinking blogs, have to learn how to put a html link in the body first.

Kathleen said...

Congrats on getting chosen by a non-cat person for your cat pictures. That's saying something!

You're too sweet to choose me. I have so much to post, but I will get to my Thinking Blogger choices soon, even though most of my favorite bloggers have already won.

fermicat said...

TWG - Thanks!

Dave - Blogger Help has some good HTML tutorials, or you can use the "compose" tab rather than the "edit html" tab when writing your post. In "compose" highlight the text you want to use as a link, then click the "link" icon on the toolbar and it will pop up a window for you to enter the URL. I do it the old-fashioned way, using html.

kat - Looking forward to seeing that new material, and your choices for awards.

Dave said...

Thanks for the tips. And, I forgot to congratulate you in my first comment. Cheers!

Beth said...

Thanks for the picture. Just for me? I admit, I looked at it a bit too long asking the question, "Where are those legs coming from?" Oh man, what a dullard. =/

I have to check out some of your choices. I'm not familiar with them.

You're right about Kat. I also enjoy reading her book and movie reviews! (she's one of the reasons I wanted more than 5) =)

I should have just nixed Schprock and Scott since they already won.

wa11z said...

Cool! Awards are great to get. Nobody likes to admit it, but everyone likes to have that approval from their peers.

LL said...

What?!? You got one too? Crap. ;)

dr sardonicus said...

Thank you for honoring me as a Thinking Blogger. I will reveal the secret of my unpredictability when I bestow the award upon other deserving bloggers.

Jim Donahue said...

I'd like to thank my parents, God, and monkeys. Oh, and YouTube.

Thank you, Fermi--you made my day.

John said...

Cool, thanks. I've got about half a dozen posts I haven't put up yet in the past couple of weeks for no reason whatsoever. I should probably put them up soon, huh?

fermicat said...

dr s, jim, and john - now it's your turn to pick five. Enjoy.