Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Stardust is Magic

It was a beautiful late summer day yesterday, but we've had so many of those lately we decided to spend this one sitting in a dark movie theater. When you can't remember exactly what you saw last, you are way overdue for going to the movies again. I think maybe it was Spiderman 3, or possibly Waitress...

This time we were choosing between the latest Bourne movie or Stardust. I pushed for Stardust in spite of the negative reviews it garnered. I was in the mood for a good fantasy. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We both loved it! It was a good story, with lots of pretty visuals, adventure, magic, romance, and plenty of humor mixed in throughout. If you have been on the fence about seeing it (possibly put off by the lukewarm reviews* as we were), you can hop down on the "gonna go see it" side now.

*It currently has a 74% (fresh) rating on the Tomatometer, but it has a 90% user rating. Our newspaper gave it a "C". We give it an "A", and plan to buy the DVD when it comes out.

12 comments:

TheWriteGirl said...

Really! Wow, yours is the first positive thing I've heard about it. Maybe I'll put it on the list. But you should see the Bourne movie too. Lots of fun.

ctheokas said...

Overall, yeah, 76% fresh seems about right. I preferred the scenes shot on soundstages over the stuff done on location, at least visually. WriteGirl, you should at least see it on DVD.

fakies said...

Very few of the reviews ever agree with my opinion of a movie. Anymore, I wait to read them until after I've already seen it.

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the review. I'll definitely catch it on Netflix.

BTW, I start Little, Big the other night. Read about 14 pages. I like it so far. Do you have my e-mail? kat_m6@yahoo.com

fermicat said...

twg - we still plan on seeing Bourne. It might be on DVD or cable, but we'll see it.

ctheokas - I see movies strictly for entertainment purposes. I recognize that serious film artists and critics might view things differently than I do. Different goals.

trin - nice to see you here!!! You might be right, but I do pay some attention to the reviews.

kat - my bookmark is on page 82. That is where I was when I got too sleepy to continue last night. So far, I really like the book. Such beautiful prose, I can't possibly rush it. I'll email you - but my email is pretty easy to guess.

wa11z said...

I've been dragging my feet on this one. Neal Gaiman is too fine a writer, I don't see how they can capture his prose on film. But I just might go now.

fermicat said...

I like Gaiman's books. I haven't read this one, and I hear that the writing style is different than in his other books.

Kathleen said...

I'm incapable of guessing your e-mail, so I'll wait for you to write. I read more last night. I'm quite liking it, even if I can't exactly figure out the time period. The whole walking to Edgewood thing confused me.

fermicat said...

I emailed you last night from a yahoo account. You should have it by now.

Kathleen said...

Uh, oh, nada...

fermicat said...

OK, Kat, just tried again. If it doesn't show in your inbox, check the junk folder in a few hours. 9:30pm Friday night.

fermicat said...

And if it doesn't show up, then try emailing me. I am fermicat at yahoo dot com.